Greek Giant to Supply Natural Gas to Moldova for Winter

“DEPA Commercial SA, the largest natural gas importer in Greece, a part of the state conglomerate Public Gas Corporation of Greece (DEPA), is preparing to become a gas supplier in the Moldovan gas market,” writes

On September 5, 2023, SA Energocom successfully conducted a new natural gas procurement auction, which will significantly enhance the gas supply security of the Republic of Moldova during the winter of 2023/2024.

The auction was held for the supply of natural gas volumes exceeding 100 mcm / 1 TWh, intended for storage, covering a significant portion of the Moldovan gas market supply during the winter period. The respective procurement will be covered by funds from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), which has signed a loan agreement with the Government of the Republic of Moldova.

DEPA Commercial S.A. was designated as the winner of the auction, submitting the most competitive offer among participants.

“The positive outcome of the recent auction further strengthens the already strong partnership between the two companies and confirms DEPA Commercial S.A.’s intention to remain the largest strategic supplier to the Republic of Moldova from Europe, contributing to the natural gas supply security and diversification of supply sources for the gas market in the Republic of Moldova,” said Konstantinos Xifaras, the director of DEPA Commercial S.A.

DEPA Commercial SA imports both pipeline natural gas from various sources, including Russian, Azerbaijani, and Turkish, as well as liquefied natural gas (LNG) from multiple sources, including Algeria, through the Greek Revythousa terminal.

DEPA S.A. is a group of companies active in the energy sector, engaged in wholesale gas trading, marketing, supply, and distribution of natural gas. The Greek state holds 65% of DEPA S.A. through HRADF, and Hellenic Petroleum S.A. owns the remaining 35%.


Subscribe to our newsletter

Similar Articles


Most Popular