The Minister of Education, Anatol Topala, announced major changes in the higher education system of Moldova. According to the official, the most important process of modernization of universities and the research system in recent years is beginning in Moldova, writes Diez.md.
Therefore, the following changes will be made by the beginning of the new academic year.
- The State University of Moldova is reorganized by absorbing the following public institutions:
– Academy of Public Administration
– State University of Physical Education and Sports
– Vladimir Andrunachievich Institute of Mathematics and Informatics
– Institute of Applied Physics
– Institute of Chemistry
– Institute of Ecology and Geography
– Institute of Geology and Seismology
– Institute of Zoology
– Institute of Legal, Political and Sociological Research
– Institute of Physiology and Sanocreatology
– “Bogdan Petriceicu Hasdeu” Institute of Romanian Philology
– Institute of History
– Institute of Genetics, Physiology and Plant Protection
– “Alexandru Ciubotaru” National Botanical Garden (Institute)
– “Andrei Lupan” Scientific Library (Institute).
- The Technical University of Moldova is reorganized by absorbing the following public institutions:
– Agrarian University of Moldova
– Institute of Electronic Engineering and Nanotechnologies „D. Ghițu ”
– Institute of Energy
– Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology.
- The State Pedagogical University “Ion Creanga” in Chisinau is reorganized by absorbing the following public institutions:
– Tiraspol State University
– “Grigorii Țamblac” State University of Taraclia
– Institute of Educational Sciences
– Institute of Continuing Education.
- The Academy of Economic Studies of Moldova is reorganized through the absorption of the National Institute of Economic Research.
- The exercise of the function of founder of the Academy of Music, Theater, Fine Arts and of the Institute of Cultural Heritage moves from the Ministry of Education and Research to the Ministry of Culture.
The ministry will financially support the modernization process of universities. To achieve this goal, over 700 million lei will be allocated.
According to the minister: “At present, we have too few students and too many universities. Globally, there is a trend to concentrate resources, not to disperse them. Thus, Denmark, the Netherlands, France, the Baltic States are successful examples in carrying out such processes of concentration of resources. The competence is too dispersed. We are too small a country to claim that we can provide quality studies and the same curriculum in six or seven universities. The weak influence of research on the training process: two key elements define a modern and innovative institution of higher education, namely: research-based teaching and teaching-based research ”.
Topală also added that the need and argumentation of this modernization have been known since 2015. “The subject has been widely debated since then, but unfortunately this process has been delayed. We believe that we can no longer delay this modernization. “
According to the ministry, the reorganization process is planned between the graduation period and the beginning of the new academic year. “Admission to higher education will take place only in reorganized institutions, and the transfer of students will be completed by the beginning of the new year of study.”
We remind you that in 2020, the Institute of International Relations of Moldova and the State University “Dimitrie Cantemir” were absorbed by the State University of Moldova.