USAID provides additional funding for Moldova. The Republic of Moldova receives additional funding of 63 million dollars. The Minister of Finance and its USAID counterpart agreed on supplementing the budget with the additional 63 million dollars.
USAID will offer these funds to support Moldova in its European journey. Also, as a response to the multiple crises facing the Republic of Moldova.
Most of the funds, 46.3 million dollars, are intended for the sustainable economic growth of the Republic of Moldova. They will help the Moldovan economy to become more resilient.
The USAID money will be used to:
- accelerating Moldova’s long-term energy security through integration with the European energy system. Increasing the volume of renewable energy and attracting investments in domestic energy production and energy efficiency;
- the implementation of new technologies and innovations that will boost Moldova’s digital economy and ensure sustainable growth;
- expanding reforms favorable to the business and trade environment and reducing vulnerable areas to corruption;
- improving the resilience and competitiveness of the agricultural sector of the Republic of Moldova in areas such as: winemaking, production of fruit, table grapes, apple trees and honey to contribute to sustainable and inclusive recovery following the regional crisis.
- At the same time, 16.7 million dollars will go to programs aimed at strengthening participatory democracy and governance, being focused on:
- providing additional support to independent media institutions and creating a media sector that is more resilient to political and financial pressures and less susceptible to disinformation;
- expanding support for credible electoral processes and fair political competition;
- providing a rapid response to the immediate needs of local governments facing refugee flows, including in rural areas, to be more efficient, transparent and accountable, including community development, infrastructure projects and business support;
- the amplification of the current reforms in the justice system.
By introducing these Amendments, the total amount of the grant offered by the US under the Assistance Agreements signed in 2016 will reach 153.2 million dollars.
USAID has provided assistance for development projects in the Republic of Moldova since 1992. In the last 30 years, USAID’s total investments in the development of the economy and democracy of the Republic of Moldova amount to more than 600 million dollars.