The “Mihai Eminescu” Romanian Cultural Institute in Chisinau supports the organization of two MOLDOX Lab film workshops: EXPLORATION and MONTAJ, within the seventh edition of the “MOLDOX” International Documentary Film Festival for Social Change. The event will take place between August 22-28, at the headquarters of the Musical-Dramatic Theater “B.P.Hasdeu” in Cahul.
The MOLDOX International Documentary Film Festival for Social Change is aimed at both the general public and cinema professionals. During the festival, social film screenings are screened, followed by discussions with the filmmakers. At the same time, creative workshops and workshops will be organized for professional documentary filmmakers from the Republic of Moldova, as well as for those in the making.
This year, within MOLDOX Lab, five creative workshops will take place. These workshops will happen in parallel with the festival screenings:
- EXPLORATION (August 22-28) dedicated to young filmmakers and novice documentarians from Cahul and throughout the Republic of Moldova will be supported by director Nora Agapi.
Nora Agapi is a director and photographer from Romania, director of photography of several award-winning documentaries at international festivals. Graduated from the National University of Theater and Cinematography “I.L. Caragiale” – Film and TV department (1998). Master in Digital Arts at the University of Athens. In the period 1999-2001, he worked as a university assistant in the Film and TV section, specializing in photography. He was a cameraman and set photographer in cinematographic projects carried out in Romania, Germany, the USA and Ireland. During over 20 years of activity, he had personal photography exhibitions organized in Bucharest, Timișoara and Budapest. Since 2013 he has been collaborating with MOLDOX as coordinator of film and photography workshops.
- EDITING (August 24-28) – an advanced sound editing and image editing workshop dedicated to young professionals in the field. Filmmaker Dragoș Apetri, will conduct this workshop.
Dragoș Apetri is a screenwriter, sound engineer and especially one of the best-known film editors in the Romanian film industry. Among other things, he edited iconic films such as Marița (2017, dir. Cristi Iftime) and Malmkrög (2020, dir. Cristi Puiu) also collaborating on the editing of the Golden Bear award winner (Berlinale 2018) Don’t touch me ! (dir. Adina Pintilie). Dragoș Apetri is a member of the “We are Basque” editing collective and holds editing workshops for teenagers in partnership with the “One World Romania” Documentary Film Festival.
- InterAction – workshop dedicated to members of civil society and activists from the sphere of non-governmental organizations, funded by the U.S. Embassy. in the Republic of Moldova, it will be supported by filmmakers Melody Gilbert (USA) and Hjalmar Palmgren (Sweden).
- INSPIRATION – advanced course, dedicated to documentary filmmakers who have a film project in production or post-production (funded by the U.S. Embassy)
- Film criticism – a workshop dedicated to young journalists from the Republic of Moldova who want to improve their contemporary documentary film review skills (funded by the U.S. Embassy)
Moldox Lab is a platform for training and connecting local talent with international documentary filmmakers. On the one hand, year after year, Moldox brings together people passionate about the cinematographic industry, who want to reflect the problems of contemporary society through documentary film. On the other hand, world-class experts participate in the project, who offer participants support and guidance in the creative process.
Moldox Lab’s mission consists in supporting, training and motivating local talents to create documentary films with social impact for the Republic of Moldova, facilitating their access to European platforms.